If you are a proud dog owner with years of experience, you don’t need us to explain that most dogs are prone to running away from home. Even if they are very attached to their owner and household, there are too many temptations outside the home for them to resist.
There are dozens of things that can lead your pup off the premises, from unusual scents to wildlife representatives. And while a regular fence will keep them inside for some time, none of them gives a 100% chance that your dog will not escape.
Lately, more and more dog owners are choosing wireless pet fences, and Petsafe Wireless Fence is one of the most popular options. So how exactly does this device work?
After installing the wireless fence, which is completely unnoticeable for humans, and setting the boundaries the dog should not cross, you put a Petsafe Wireless Fence Collar on your dog. When the dog gets close to the boundaries you set in the previous step, the dog hears a loud beep. If the dog continues trespassing, a static correction is issued by the collar, which causes the pup to instantly return to its designated territory.
The Petsafe electric dog fence is a favorite for thousands of dog owners for a variety of reasons, and here are its strongest pros:
- The fence can be used just about anywhere. Most owners prefer to install it in their backyard, and there are no limits on the shape of the containment territory as long as you fit into the size limit.
- One size fits all! The Petsafe collar comes in just one size and can be easily adjusted to your pup’s neck. The collar fits dogs starting from 8 lbs perfectly!
- The fence is completely unnoticeable for humans and will have literally no effect on the life of the people in your family.
- The device can be easily packed, transported, and installed again if you often travel with your dog.
- The Petsafe wireless fence is super easy to install. There is no need to dig holes or trenches for the wires, since there are no wires at all! Simply set the small flags around the territory, put the collar on your pup, and turn on the transmitter.
Even though the Petsafe wireless containment system is a strong contender for the most practical and modern device for preventing your dog from running away, there are still a few cons you need to consider:
- While the static correction is said to be very humane compared to other methods of keeping the dog from escaping, it is still possible that your pup will feel distressed after the collar corrects it.
- The correct operation of the system largely depends on the clear signal from the transmitter to the flags and from the flags to the collar, and some owners report it not being stable 100% of the time.
- The system works flawlessly only on completely flat surfaces, so if your yard has occasional hills and slopes, you should know that they can impact the operation of the fence.
Despite the few cons, the Petsafe wireless fence is one of the most humane and effective ways to prevent your dog from escaping, and it’s also surprisingly affordable.